Thursday, January 8, 2015

Another round of swimming!

The boys took a round of swimming lessons at Rhonda's Swim Academy between Christmas and New Year's.  Ralph continued in level 3 for the 2nd time.  Henry was in level 1, 2 for the 3rd time.  My biggest hope was that Henry would pass and they would both be in the same level again.  Level 3 is combined with Level 4 and leaps and bounds ahead of Level 2.  I do not expect anyone to pass Level 3/4 anytime soon - it would just be nice to get them in the same class so we aren't wasting time waiting for one class to get done and start the next. 

Henry's class met ahead of Ralph's so we had his "parent show" first.  There were 4 kids in his class.  All did great.  Henry was a lot more sure of himself when jumping off the side and the board.    Rhonda was so impressed with their skills that she had the kids jump off the board and swim to the shallow end one by one - something I had never seen in all the Level 1,2 "parent shows" I have attended.  Henry also was a lot more relaxed picking up the shark rocks from the bottom of the shallow end.  Success!  On to level 3 for Henry!





Ralph's class had 3-4 Level 3 students, and 4-5 Level 4 students in it.  Ralph really did enjoy the 4-days of classes this time.  I am hoping he has turned that corner and has found a fondness for water.   He would report on his lesson each day - he wore the floater belt for the first few days; he took it off for the crawl stroke on day 3 but left it on for the back stroke.  On day 4, during the "parent show", he opted to keep it off for the back stroke too.  This effort shows me he is getting more comfortable in the water and confident in his skills.  Rhonda was very close on passing him into Level 4 just based on how he did at the "parent show".  I told her I was just happy they would be in the same level again. 




The boys are signed up for Level 3 weekly lessons in February.  We've always done the 4-day-in-a-row lessons; hope the weekly ones go well.  I think they'll like having their time in the pool spaced out.   I'm ready to sign them up for some of her "open swims" where they can be dropped off for 3 hours (for a fee).  I was stalling until Henry passed level 2 and got a little older/taller.  Unfortunately one is in February - I don't think they need that on top of a lessons but maybe we'll try it in March.

No comments: