We, I mean, he did it! He survived the first day of kindergarten . . .and did it looking like a pro!
He started off the day sleeping until 7:20, which is almost unheard of for Ralph. The
last time he slept that late may have been the day of his 5th birthday
party back in March. He ate some cereal and we took some photos outside.
We then leave to drop off Henry at Fingerprints so he can get about his day. While at Fingerprints we happen to see the school-age kids eating breakfast and he tells me he wants to stay here (at Fingerprints); "go get my backpack," he tells me. He is the only kindergartener at the breakfast table. I told him I'd meet him at school and he asks why. I asked if I should pick him up after school and we could go out for a treat and he said "I want to come back here." I think the thrill of riding in the
van and possibly playing Wii (which he just discovered yesterday) was too much for the boy.
I got to Kahoa moments before the Fingerprints van. I see Ms. Crystal walking Ralph and go to meet them. He gives me a hug - I take that as a good decision to meet him at school. After a bit we spied some other friends from Fingerprints and take photos then head over to door #2, where the kindergarters enter. I noticed there were students each holding a sign for a different teacher. I saw his teacher's sign and got him in line for her class. I handed him a bag of supplies we forgot to bring to the open house and before I know it his class heads inside leaving the parents outside. I'm guessing there were some teary eyes - either parents or kids - but I did not notice any. I came close to loosing it while taking photos of the kids waiting to go inside, with their oversized backpacks on but snapped out of it.
I did not pick him up from school since he voted to get picked up by the Fingerprints van. I tried to ask lots of questions tonight but am not sure if I remember all the details. His teacher showed them a picture of "Stanley" and pointed out how nicely Stanley sat, he played with a classmate named Jarrett, he had some time on the computer . . .I'm sure I'm missing a million details. He said the teacher didn't ask any questions that she was looking for answers he asked her some questions. Oh, to be a fly on the wall.
He did opt for hot lunch today (cheesy pizza) and thought he would take a cold lunch tomorrow but after reviewing the menu I think he will get the hot lunch. I'm hopeful he'll go through a cycle of hot lunches and not be so quick to take a cold lunch but I think he also just wants to take a cold lunch to take a cold lunch.




No comments:
Post a Comment