Thursday, March 29, 2012

Henry: Getting a little bigger

We surprised Henry with a "big bed" tonight complete with Cars sheets and a "big pillow". We hadn't talked to him about it and when we went up to his room tonight he was speechless but the look on his face was priceless. The twin bed is just laying on the floor next to the crib. The crib was left in the room on purpose; if the freedom of a "big bed" is too great he'll go back in the "little crib". He may have just been extra tired but the bedtime escapade was minimal tonight. We went through our normal routine of singing songs while he is in bed, then I sat on his floor for a bit. As I was starting to wonder how I would get to leave he declared he had to go potty so we went. I told him I'd dump it out after I put him back to bed. I closed his door (not shut) and left to take care of the potty . . .and took my time expecting to see him at his door when I opened our door. Very surprisingly, his door was still shut.

Friday morning update: Henry slept all night! He was not very happy this morning when he discovered the baby gate at his door and cried "open the gate."

Weekend update: Henry requested the security and safety of the "little crib" Friday night only to wake up around 12:30 wanting the "big pillow" on the big bed. I told him he can only sleep with the pillow if he sleeps on the "big bed" so I put him on the "big bed", sat on the floor for a bit and left.

Naptime Saturday went off without a hitch for Mike.

Naptime Sunday was a complete flop for me. Henry finally discovered all the freedom that comes with a big bed. He threw his blankets and clothes over the gate into the hallway, he opened his toybox, pulled out toys and played with them, he discovered he could see Ralph in his room and yelled for him. He then got put in the crib to help him regain his focus of naptime but then pleaded for "no crib" so i put him back in bed hoping the threat was good enough but it wasn't. He was put back in the crib and finally fell asleep for 30 minutes . . .about 1.5 hours after the 'fun' started.

Midweek update: I knew Henry would wake up in the middle of the night sooner or later. Sure enough, Monday night I met him at the gate at his doorway around 1:30 and 5:30 am. He is getting tougher to put to bed as he keeps getting out of bed to hand me a blanket to cover him up or some other request. Tuesday night I tried sitting outside the gate for awhile instead of in his room and he kept coming over to check on me. I am hoping to not get in the habit of sitting/laying on his floor until he falls asleep since it is so time consuming but we'll see . . . .

One more sign my baby is getting bigger! Now if we can just get him potty trained!

No comments: