Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Henry: Celebrating 27 months!

(an action photo of Henry waving his arms)

My most loved phrase coming from Henry this month - "carry you" as he extends his arms to be picked up. Most annoying phrases coming from Henry - "no" during daylight hours and "I need chapstick" or "I need tissue" at bedtime as he continues to prolong the time I spend in his room. He has started to say "Henry" when asked his name or when shown an H. He also knows a W belongs to him.

When working on the letters in the alphabet Henry recognizes most of the letters his friend's names start with. He can also sing the ABC song pretty good. He can recite the numbers 1- . . 9. He knows most colors but still refers to most everything as blue, including Elmo, Oscar, and Big Bird.


A few weeks ago I thought we'd try to put Henry in briefs to see how he would do and how many briefs we'd go through before we would give up and put him back in diapers. Henry is very opinionated and didn't think it was a good idea. After protesting a few seconds repeating "put my diaper on" he walks over to the diapers and gets one for me to put on. Four days later, at daycare, he proceeds to successfully use the potty and stay dry all day except at naptime. Hoping it turns into his idea and he is wearing briefs soon!

Fast forward to last Friday night, while we were out to eat Henry came up to me and told me he had to potty. Off we go, no potty. A few minutes later, he came up and said he had to potty. Off we go, not only did he potty but he also deposited something else in the potty! He also went one more time before we left. I was totally amazed that he choose the potty route - THE BIG POTTY - versus just going in his diaper. Then, on Saturday, we went to the Children's Museum. Henry kept dry during the whole visit and as we were getting ready to go visited the bathroom and he went potty. He has been making more progress the last couple of days - hopefully he'll let us try briefs sometimes soon.

One night, while going to bed, Henry asked for the "deer song". Not familiar with any other deer song, I starting singing what little I know of "Do Re Me" from the Sound of Music. It has turned into one of his favorites. I introduced Bingo the other night to try to work a "dog song" into the mix but it is not as popular as the "deer song."


His vocabulary is ever expanding. His words are getting more intelligible (or I'm just getting used to his language). Henry has had one more tooth poke through in the last month - bottom, 2nd one in on the right side (lateral incisor). He seems to be biting less at daycare.


Henry had a bad streak for visiting doctors over the past month. After his ear infection towards the end of last month he had a regular checkup with the asthma doctor which was a good visit but by the weekend Henry started wheezing. Unfortunately it took a trip to the pediatrician's office to figure it out followed by a visit to the asthma doctor the next week.

Henry has absolutely no patience for praying before bed.

No comments: