Thursday, May 19, 2016

Henry: Kindergarten Graduate!


What a difference 9 months makes!  Sure, Henry grew nearly a brick but he also grew leaps and bounds academically.  I would have loved to have be a fly on the wall more than once to observe Henry in the classroom.  He may have spent a handful of times in the safe seat, he may have visited the buddy room at least once but they were only done in an attempt to get him back on track to be a better listener and to help him remember he needs to follow directions the first time.  Hopefully the foundation has been set for less time in the safe seat next year!  Even with his occasional misbehavior he won over his teacher and classmates with his unique personality.

He is very lucky in that reading has come very easily to him.  Kindergartners need to have achieve a level 4 DRA by the end of Kindergarten, Henry scored a 24 on his last assessment and to achieve a higher score he would have needed to write answers to specific questions concerning the story vs just reading a story.  He and another student would get to go to the library occasionally during reading time to do "tumble books" on the computer.

Henry hardly ever talks much about his day or who he hangs out with.  I accompanied him on a field trip to the Lincoln Children's Zoo earlier this week.  I found out from another mom there are 4-5 girls lined up to marry Henry.  I found out from another mom earlier this week her daughter really wanted to invite Henry to her birthday party but they had limited it to the girls in the class only.  I also heard from a dad a few months back the kids on the playground were "fighting" over Henry - those in his class vs another boy he knew before Kindergarten.  All signs point to him being well liked.

As I was waiting for Henry to come out the doors this afternoon I was thinking back to 9 months ago.  I was thinking about how shy and apprehensive he was not at all sure about this new adventure that was about it begin . . .then I see THIS come out of the doors.  Our youngest hamming it up to the max!  I can only guess the memories his teacher will carry with her.





Henry and Mrs. Peterson

No comments: