Sunday, March 20, 2016

Ralph turns EIGHT, isn't it GREAT?!


(photo taken week before - 3/12/2016; prior to reading at church)
It certainly does not feel like the 1st day of spring but it does feel like someone is ready to turn 8!  As we were driving back home last night in the dark (ie. it's too dark to read a book in the car and is 'forced' to do something else), Ralph says "let's talk about college."   He had a few questions about class sizes and living options.   Then we changed to other topics.  It's good having one on one time with Ralph - and a rare occasion that he couldn't read.

I measured Ralph a few weeks ago, just for fun.  He was roughly 52" tall and ? pounds the last night he stepped on the scale at home.    He is still waiting to lose that 1st tooth.  He has a dentist appointment in May ~ I won't be surprised if he ends up getting a bit of help to get that 1st tooth out.

School is going well.  Ralph's spelling words come from a list geared to 6th graders, his DRA reading level is above average, and he is starting to explore "diff" math.  Last fall. he was part of a select group of 2nd graders at his school to take a standardized test that 3rd graders take.  All in all, I'd say academically school is going well.  Socially it seems to be going well too - I think we may have had a comment at conferences in January that he may talk too much . . .and needs to work on his inside voice (when working with a partner).

Extra curricular activities continue to include basketball, CCD, and cub scouts as well as occasional swimming lessons.  His basketball skills have improved greatly.   He has continued with the Cornhusker Shooting Stars Skills Clinic and did participate on a Y 2nd grade team this year to get some team experience (and yes, his jersey is on backwards by choice - he routinely wears shirts backwards). 


Tonight, the Cornhusker Shooting Stars had summer tryouts; there is not a team for his age but there were a few more younger kids than there been lately and they are going to start a "Rising Stars Skills Academy" so he will continue basketball throughout the summer.  
 
Ralph is gearing up for 1st communion in a few weeks and is so much more knowledge on the Bible than I ever was at his age, he has received two children's type Bibles the past few summers through a program his summer day camp attended and still reads them.  He even volunteered to be a reader during a mass last week that was attended mostly by other 2nd graders and their parents the morning of a retreat in preparation of 1st communion.
 
Cub scouts has its highs and lows of working through the elective requirements.  Some take a bit more effort than others but they are great in exposing him to things we would not have had a reason to expose to yet - we've made a kite using a garbage bag, made various 'boats' to see what floats better, and popped a balloon full of confetti to see how germs fly when a person sneezes.   They had a community service project earlier in March and played bingo with residents of a retirement facility.


Ralph had fun opening many Star Wars themed gifts today, along with an activity tracker, football cards, and a Monopoly game.  We still owe him the chance to have a friend spend the night and hope that will happen in April.






I tried to get Ralph to answer an "all about me" questionnaire . . .this is what I ended up with -
  • My favorite color is . . . .red
  • My favorite food is . . . special (a term someone created for his favorite sandwich consisting of a peanut butter and strawberry jelly on a hamburger bun - he really could eat it for at least 2 meals a day)
  • My favorite school subject is . . .computers
  • If I could be introduced to anyone in the world, who would I choose from the following categories?    
    • Actor/actress . . .Harry Houdini
    • Cartoon Character . . . Cyborg
    • Sports Persona . .Stephen Curry from the Golden State Warriors
  •  In my free time I LOVE to read books and play the kindle
  • I would never spend time  . . .jumping off a building
  • If I could have three wishes come true, I would wish for . . . become a millionaire (only listed 1)
  • I am proud of my  . . . .spelling
  • I don't believe in  . . . ghosts
  • I no longer  . . .bite my nails (and that is TRUE!)
  • Whats makes you the happiest? - play kindle
  • What is your favorite part of the day? - lunch
  • If you could go anywhere in the word on vacation, where would you go? - Golden State (because of basketball player Stephen Curry)

No comments: